PACC Swimming Lessons
When you’re surrounded by lakes, swimming lessons are a must. The PACC teaches Red Cross Learn To Swim lessons offered throughout the year, as well as Lifeguard and Water Safety Instructor Certification.
What level should I put my swimmer in?
Based strictly off of a child’s age, we recommend the following:
- Six months to three years old should attend a parent-child lesson with a parent in the water.
- Three to six years old should attend a preschool lesson.
- Six years old and older should attend a Learn to Swim lesson.
- We recommend anyone over the age of sixteen to enroll in our private lesson program.
Scroll down for Red Cross Levels description.
Upcoming in August: Learn to Swim Offerings
Daytime Lessons (2 weeks, 8 days, 30 minute lessons)
Session 3: August 3-13, Mon-Thurs
12:00-12:30pm – Level 1 & 3
12:45-1:15pm – Level 2 & 3
1:30-2:00pm – Level 1 & 2
2:15-2:45pm – Level 4, 5 & 6
Evening Lessons (4 weeks, 8 days, 30 minute lessons)
Session 3: August 4-26, Tues & Wed
3:30-4:00pm – *Preschool 1, Level 2
4:15-4:45pm – *Preschool 2, Level 1
5:00-5:30pm – *Preschool 1, Level 1
**Parent must be with the swimmer in the water for Preschool Levels
What is the difference between Parent/Child, Preschool, and Learn-to-Swim Level 1??
- Parent/Child classes encourage the parent and swimmer to learn together to increase the child’s comfort level in the water. They will build a foundation of basic skills, such as arm and leg movements and breath control while learning to play around the water safely.
- Preschool Aquatics classes are geared for children ages 4-5. They will be oriented to the aquatic environment and learn basic aquatic skills while being supported hands-on by the instructor. This level would be perfect for kids who have never taken lessons before, or are being introduced to swimming for the first time, but show comfort being in the water without a parent.
- Learn to Swim Level 1 swimmers starting at age 6 learn basic aquatic skills while being encouraged to develop positive attitudes and safe practices around the water. Instructors will help swimmers gain independence in the water and provide hands-on support when needed. This level would be perfect for kids who have passed the Preschool Aquatics level, or are at kindergarten age where they can stand on their own in the shallow end.
*Non-Members – $70
Private Swim Lessons
*Non-Members – $35
Per child/adult for each 30 minute session.
RED CROSS SWIMMING LEVELS
Level 1 - Introduction to Water Skills
Objective: To help students feel comfortable in the water and to enjoy the water safely
Skills Covered: Entering and exiting the water safely, learning to submerge mouth, nose and eyes and breath control, front and back float and recovering to a stand, changing direction in the water, swimming 5 feet on front and back.
Level 2 - Fundamental Aquatic Skills
Objective: To give students success with fundamental skills
Requirements: Students entering this level must possess a Level 1 certificate or demonstrate all the Level 1 skills
Skills Covered: Entering water by stepping or jumping in from the side, submerging entire head, blowing bubbles, open eyes underwater, front and back glide, swim 15 feet on front and 10 feet on back, swim on side, life jacket use
Level 3 - Stroke Development
Objective: To build on skills in Level 2 through additional guided practice
Requirements: Students entering this level must possess a Level 2 certificate or demonstrate all the Level 2 skills
Skills Covered: Jump into deep water, head first entry from sitting or kneeling, submerging and retrieving an object, bobbing, survival float for 30 seconds, treading water for 30 seconds, front crawl 15 yards, butterfly 15 feet, back crawl 15 yards, elementary rescues, safe diving, check-call-care
Level 4 - Stroke Improvement
Objective: To develop confidence in the strokes learned thus far and to improve other aquatic skills by increasing endurance through swimming greater distances
Requirements: Students entering this level must possess a Level 3 certificate or demonstrate all the Level 3 skills
Skills Covered: diving, underwater swimming, feet-first surface dive, 1 minute of survival floating, treading and back floating, 25 yards of front crawl, breaststroke and back crawl, 15 yards of butterfly and elementary backstroke and sidestroke, compact jump from height in a lifejacket, throwing assists and caring for conscious choking victim
Level 5 - Stroke Refinement
Objective: Coordination and refinement of strokes
Requirements: Students entering this level must possess a Level 4 certificate or demonstrate all the Level 4 skills
Skills Covered: Shallow dive, tuck and pike surface dives, 2 minutes of survival floating, back float and treading water, flip turns on front and back, 50 yards front and back crawl, 25 yards butterfly, breaststroke, elementary backstroke and sidestroke, 2 minutes of survival swimming, rescue breathing
Level 6 - Swimming and Skill Proficiency
Objective: Refine strokes so students swim them with more ease, efficiency, power and smoothness over greater distances; includes “menu options” – Personal Water Safety, Fitness Swimmer and Fundamentals of Diving
Requirements: Students entering this level must possess a Level 5 certificate or demonstrate all the Level 5 skills
Skills Covered: 500 yards continuous swim using 100 yards each of front & back crawl, 50 yards each of breastroke, elementary backstroke, sidestroke & butterfly and 100 yards choice of any of those strokes, survival floating and back floating 5 minutes each, feet first surface dive & retrieve an object from 7 feet, Cooper 12-minute swim test
Perham Area Community Center
620 3rd Avenue SE Perham, MN 56573
Mon- Fri 6 am - 6 pm
Saturday 8 am - 2 pm
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!
© 2017 PACC. Website by Arvig® Media.